Friday, June 25, 2010

Checkmate in 16 games

I'm a little down tonight as I looked up the office's World Cup Pool. After a very good showing in the round robin, I find that my odds of winning are very low all the same.



Not only do I need the teams I've picked to go through, but I need specific circumstances to occur in addition because other entrants, including one with more upside potential than I --have the same picks for the end of the tourney. It feels like in the Price is Right where one person just adds a dollar to another person's bid. Though without the obvious sociopathy, as all of these choices were made in advance.

It kind of takes some of the fun out of it though; when you're so close and yet someone's parked in front of you.





I feel like an Audi right now.

4 comments:

  1. Don't take things too rough. The last thing you want to feel is down after you potentially lost a gamble. The whole point was to make the games more interesting and not to actually win money. If you were gambling to win money, that's a more serious problem.

    It sucks to feel pushed into the corner. Always does and always will. Get yourself out of the corner then. At this point it seems like not giving a damn might do that for you. Sit back and appreciate the sport and don't let some pool get in the way of that. Whatever you do, don't start jumping into those "by the minute" bets either.

    Black stars all the way! Wooo!

    - Tomm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I kind of regret betting because I bet so I could feel more attached to the outcomes. But I think I feel that way already, and I'd like to be liberated from caring about teams I didn't bet on but might like to see advance.

    I'm glad that the CBC felt like using the money they didn't spend on the Olympics to provide top-quality World Cup coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the games. What teams did you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spain and Brazil in the final, and England and Argentina in 4th and 3rd. But it's now looking like even a 3rd place finish is not possible for me, even should I get the remaining teams in the finals right.

    If the scoring was purely about results and which teams go through, I would be doing better I think. But the website's system is screwy.

    Also there was a site problem when I put my picks in... so now I'm 'predicting' a lot of unlikely ties which will cost me.

    ReplyDelete