Monday, January 17, 2011

Back on the front burner

I have been really lax in my blogging of late. In part I couldn't type for a while, but really I think when stuff piles up, I sort of get less active in taking care of it.

I made a lot of stuff this weekend, and while there have been rumours of a great potato salad, I think of equal interest may be that I have successfully made a high sugar, poorly tasting substitute for grocery store brand cola. Don't do that y'all. In my experimenting with high value ingredients, I have made use of corn tortillas and tried truffle infused olive oil. The store bought corn tortillas were inferior to whole wheat, as they had to be cooked through to be edible at all. My potato salad is pretty good, especially considering how little I like boiled potatoes, but the saffron I think is overrated. It may be more fragrant than some other herbs but it doesn't seem better or all that different really.

I got some black truffle infused olive oil for use in a risotto. I always hear great things about truffles from the guys on television with unreasonable budgets, and I knew eventually I had to give the world's most expensive ingredient some kind of try. The vial of infused olive oil was the cheapest option. It is extremely pungent. It reminds of mussels or oysters canned in oil --but earthy and pungent. I guess this is a pretty strong umami flavour. Unlike saffron, truffles seem to be the real deal.

I've been looking at Rogers' Cable packages to see if I can save some money. Unfortunately, it really seems like anything below Digital Plus drops almost everything I watch, and even Digital Plus drops almost half of what I watch. Cable options stink. I really don't understand why Game Show TV is in almost every package, while the Comedy network requires VIP. I don't get that at all. Well, I have assumptions, I just don't like the implications.

As this week progresses, I plan to regale you with tales of the movies I have seen. Perhaps I'll do some of that sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment