Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Return to Castle Dracula

I didn't exactly have all that interesting a Halloween. There was a haunt at the old Power Station in Ebiticoke, but it was kind of too far away for me. I missed out on a late midnight show at the Lightbox because I mistaken assumed that 12:30AM Sunday was Sunday night instead of Saturday night. I missed out on another Lightbox showing on Friday. The classic Cabinet of Dr. Caligari presented with a live orchestra. But when I read the email alter about it, (Sent on the same day of the performance) I had already purchased tickets to the final home game for the Toronto Argonauts.

Regarding that, I know unfortunately have the opportunity to see the Argos lose three different ways. This time was the kind where the game slips through your fingers. There was an exciting ending featuring a missed field goal but the end wasn't in doubt:



I was situated on the 200 level this time which was a different experience from the end zone in the other cheap seat section. The view of the field was excellent, though I was further away. The concrete supports and nearby walls did block my view of some of the rest of the stadium. You can't really see the fullness of the stadium and crowd from where I was. Also, most of the closer endzone was obscured. I think partly this was due to being in the back rows of the section instead of the closer rows. (The consequences of buying late I assume) There was a television monitor nearby since I couldn't see the big screen, not that I really needed to. I noticed that the concourse on the 200 level is not as stylin' as the lower bowl's. Smaller bathrooms, less stores and more concrete. I guess that's because all of the lower bowl seats share the same concourse, while the section I was in is just cheaper seats.

In both games I've been to I've found it odd that there always seem to be a couple of people who stop by and sit down for a while, then disappear at a break never to return. As if people are brought in for the show but only temporarily, or have free reign to go wherever they want.

My experience at going to sports events so far has a poor record when it comes to crowd pleasing wins. The home team, (Whomever they may be) is 1-4 when I'm there. If I were a coach, I'd be sacked.

Sacked!



I had the opportunity to see the north building for the St. Laurence Market, which I hadn't even known existed some of the times I'd been over there. I wasn't missing anything. It seemed like a mostly abandoned grade school gym with a couple of tables and loading doors. Some produce and candles too.

As a late Halloween style experience, I have scheduled a visit to Toronto's own crazy mansion, Casa Loma for an adaptation of Dracula. (Not unlike The Turn of the Screw show I saw downtown last year) Of course as good as that show was, I suspect a mansion may be more inspiring than just a regular period house.


1 comment:

  1. Whoa, no way!

    I've seen this building a hundred times from the road on my way through Toronto, and I even walked up to it from the park side, but I never knew that it was the same building both times.

    Thats awesome, and in retrospect, obvious.

    ReplyDelete