Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'm headed to The Ward

TIFF is in town; and while I've only seen one movie so far, I have been walking around a lot. On Sunday I took a look at some of the free exhibits related to TIFF but was a bit disappointed. One neat sounding exhibit was seemingly buried behind the ticket counter of the AGO, and I'm not paying for admission to the entire museum to see it. I'm not that committed. (That'll be funny in a few paragraphs)

I did see the inside of the Bell Lightbox. The public portion is a three floor area, that's not quite an atrium. It's kind of cramped but yet also vertical --like a stairwell. There's a louge, a gallery, and theatre, and some viewing rooms. (I don't know what they'll do with those later) Honestly, I don't think it's a pretty interior.

I did a U-turn last night and decided after 10PM to go see the midnight madness screening of John Carpenter's The Ward. I had to go all the way over the Ryerson for the midnight screening which meant I got back a little before 3AM. I don't think I want to do that again as it was as bad for me in the morning as I'd worried it would be.

Since I didn't have an advance ticket, I had to wait in line. But I managed to get lucky and buy a ticket for below face from another person. The rush line was fair sized, but the ticket holders line was enormous. Yet, the Ryerson theatre didn't seem that much bigger than the Bloor theatre, (Or much louder) so maybe it's width is deceptive. I was annoyed that there are, (of course) a huge amount of reserved seats in prime position that no one occupied.

There was a video from John Carpenter about having jury duty which was a little funny, but I was disappointed he wasn't there. I decided that with the time and lack of the director that I didn't want to stay for the Q & A.

The Ward is the story of a girl committed to a haunted insane asylum where she and the other inmates are threatened by a ghost of a girl and their fears are ignored by the doctor and nurse...and yes, it is all in her head. How did you see that twist coming?

Predictable twist aside, this was pretty good. Jump scares, good acting, good technical direction. Nothing really unique though.


~~
The real horror.... I may have to cover someone else's desk again at work for another week. (How the hell are people on vacation this much and still off at Christmas? Someone explain this to me!) I'll have been back on my own desk a measly day or two... or less depending. I've been at my own desk for slightly more than a week in like two months. Files are actually starting pile up because other guys don't do it when I'm not there. This is f-------g ridiculous. ...and yes, this is in time for the busiest day of the month. How did you see that twist coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment