Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fakery

I was going about town to try and secure tickets for the upcoming World Cup qualifying match between Canada and arch rival Peru, (crickets) but I seem have been temporarily stymied in my quest to avoid paying ticket master an eight dollar commission on a twenty three dollar ticket.

First, my attempts to get to the BMO field (aka Beemo field) box office were prevented by the Ex, which would require me to pay a deposit to get through the carnival to pick up tickets. (Presumably, if I didn't get tickets I would get my $16 deposit back)

Second, I attempted to get discounts from the concierge that services a building that I'm not in, (RBC plaza) but he didn't have tickets for that game on offer. Or TIFF tickets, (Understandly, since it's a more complicated system) ... and he was out of discounted Cineplex passes until next week. He did have a friendly demeanor and a great mustache though. I also checked out the online concierge service for the RBC Center, (Where I also don't work) but they don't seem to be on offer on their website.

Note: For those wondering, the concierge service is run by the real estate owning company which provides various services for tentants, which in the case of these two buildings I don't work in, includes discounted tickets to various attractions. Fortunately, they aren't too picky about proving you actually work in the building.

Now I'm trying to arrange a deal through the TFC fansites, where fans offer resale tickets at face value, and include some at discount value as well. Failing that, I'll just purchase through ticket master. (Maybe tomorrow so I can avoid paying any deposits at the Ex)







The other thing that was on my mind last night was the spectacular vistas of space. I talked with Steve about Hubble telescope images which aren't exactly what they appear to be.


Not Sauron



These pictures are taken in black and white representing light at different wavelengths. Each filter is a certain wavelength of light which corresponded to an element. But the colors actually selected to assemble the color picture were driven by nothing more than aesthetic qualities and ease of differentiation. Some of the pictures will even show and give pretty colour to light that isn't in the visible spectrum.

I'm not saying there's not scientific value of course, but this image is not what a person could see with their eye unless they were a futuristic cyborg... who's computerized eye also happened to make the same colour picks and filtered out the same light as the scientists have.


No, that's not a Cyborg's eye either.


From what I understand though, wavelengths seem to correspond with colours anyway. So there is in fact a place on the spectrum that matches with some of the filters that they've used; they're just different colours than utilized.

But it also occurs to me that as less different wavelengths of light are filtered out, that the shapes would change and the colours/elements would appear more distinct. (Subject the nature of the present elements mind you) Is that not accurate? So if more filters could be used and combined to present a more accurate version of the visible spectrum, it would appear as a different shape and probably much brighter and indistintive. Like a blob of light.

Does that sound right? It's kind of disappointing.

You're not fooling anyone whitey.

No comments:

Post a Comment